Problems upgrading from cyrus 2.1.18 to 2.2.13 on debian etch

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 13:37:02 EST 2007

On Nov 27, 2007 6:59 PM, Steinar Bang <sb at dod.no> wrote:
> When I try to run the following command line from
> /usr/share/doc/cyrus-common-2.2/README.Debian.database.gz
>
> /usr/sbin/cvt_cyrusdb /var/lib/cyrus/deliver.db db3 /var/lib/cyrus/temp.db flat
>
> I get the following error message:
>
> fatal error: unknown old backend
>
> What's unknown here?  The "db3" argument?  Or the format of the
> deliver.db file?

# /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/cvt_cyrusdb
Usage: /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/cvt_cyrusdb [-C altconfig] <old db> <old
db backend> <new db> <new db backend>
Usable Backends:  berkeley, berkeley-nosync, flat, skiplist, quotalegacy

maybe berkeley instead of db3  :-)
Also I advise you use your old tools to convert your db to portable format.

> I've run the following steps from UPGRADE.Debian.gz for upgrading from
> 1.5 to 2.2 (I was unsure from the text in the 2.1 upgrade section
> whether are neccessary or not, but they looked harmless):
>
>  6. Change to the "cyrus" user.
>
>     # /bin/su - cyrus
>     $
>
>  7. Run the rehash program.
>
>     $ /usr/lib/cyrus/upgrade/rehash basic
>
>  8. Run ctl_mboxlist to update the "mailboxes" file.
>
>     $ cd /var/lib/cyrus
>     $ /usr/sbin/ctl_mboxlist -u < mailboxes
>
>  9. Run the cyrreconstruct program from the /var/spool/cyrus directory
>     to reconstruct the mailboxes.
>
>     $ cd /var/spool/cyrus
>     $ /usr/sbin/cyrreconstruct -r user.*
>
>     (you may need to cyrreconstruct other mailboxes, if you have any
>     system mailboxes or shared mailboxes not in the user hierarchy)
>
> 10. Exit the "cyrus" user, back to "root".
>
>     $ exit
>     #
>
> I also ran this step which failed:
>
> 11. Upgrade all of the db2 files used by Cyrus from to db4.2.
>
>     # find /var/lib/cyrus -name \*.db -print -exec /usr/bin/db4.2_upgrade {} \;

without any error messages ?

> Then step 12, which is go to README.Debian.Database, which failed with
> the error message at the start of this email?
>
> Is there a way out of this?  What do I need to do to fix things?
>
> Thanx!
>

> - Steinar
>
> ----

Alain Spineux