Problems upgrading from cyrus 2.1.18 to 2.2.13 on debian etch

Steinar Bang sb at dod.no
Tue Nov 27 12:59:54 EST 2007

When I try to run the following command line from
/usr/share/doc/cyrus-common-2.2/README.Debian.database.gz

/usr/sbin/cvt_cyrusdb /var/lib/cyrus/deliver.db db3 /var/lib/cyrus/temp.db flat

I get the following error message:

fatal error: unknown old backend

What's unknown here?  The "db3" argument?  Or the format of the
deliver.db file?

I've run the following steps from UPGRADE.Debian.gz for upgrading from
1.5 to 2.2 (I was unsure from the text in the 2.1 upgrade section
whether are neccessary or not, but they looked harmless):

 6. Change to the "cyrus" user.

    # /bin/su - cyrus
    $

 7. Run the rehash program.

    $ /usr/lib/cyrus/upgrade/rehash basic

 8. Run ctl_mboxlist to update the "mailboxes" file.

    $ cd /var/lib/cyrus
    $ /usr/sbin/ctl_mboxlist -u < mailboxes

 9. Run the cyrreconstruct program from the /var/spool/cyrus directory
    to reconstruct the mailboxes.

    $ cd /var/spool/cyrus
    $ /usr/sbin/cyrreconstruct -r user.*

    (you may need to cyrreconstruct other mailboxes, if you have any
    system mailboxes or shared mailboxes not in the user hierarchy)

10. Exit the "cyrus" user, back to "root".

    $ exit
    #

I also ran this step which failed:

11. Upgrade all of the db2 files used by Cyrus from to db4.2.

    # find /var/lib/cyrus -name \*.db -print -exec /usr/bin/db4.2_upgrade {} \;

Then step 12, which is go to README.Debian.Database, which failed with
the error message at the start of this email?

Is there a way out of this?  What do I need to do to fix things?

Thanx!

- Steinar