Bad problems with 2.3.10 on FreeBSD

Rich Wales richw at richw.org
Tue Nov 20 12:29:51 EST 2007

I recently upgraded my system to 2.3.10.  My main Cyrus server runs
FreeBSD 6.2, replicating to a second server running Ubuntu 7.10.  I
had decided to upgrade now from 2.3.9 to 2.3.10 because of replication
"bailing out" errors in 2.3.9 that are reportedly fixed in 2.3.10.

At first, I was having lots of seg-fault errors, but I added the
getgrouplist() patch to auth_unix.c on my FreeBSD system, and that
seemed to take care of the core-dumps.

However, I started seeing other problems on the FreeBSD box -- such
as "ctl_cyrusdb -c" checkpoint jobs hanging, and other mail delivery
attempts hanging (or timing out) and piling up in my Postfix queue.
I had to restart Cyrus frequently on the FreeBSD system in order to
clear the logjams.

I finally gave up and went back to 2.3.9 on both servers.  Given the
instability of 2.3.10 on my main server, I felt I had no choice.

Any ideas what might have been happening?  If I can't figure out how
to get 2.3.10 running stably, I assume I'm going to either have to
stick with 2.3.9 (and figure out some other way around the replication
bailout errors until 2.3.11 comes out), or else move my main Cyrus
operations onto some other platform (maybe another Ubuntu box).

--
Rich Wales      ===      Palo Alto, CA, USA      ===     richw at richw.org
http://www.richw.org   ===   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Richwales