Collaboration replacement via Toltec/Bynari (was How many people to admin a Cyrus system?)

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Thu Nov 15 06:28:06 EST 2007

--On 14 November 2007 13:26:22 +0200 Joon Radley <joon at radleys.co.za> wrote:

> In IMAP this gets a bit blurred as the INBOX is also
> the mechanism for receiving new mail.

No, an INBOX is simply a mailbox. It's a place that you can deliver email
to, and read email from. With the right delivery agent, it's possible to
deliver email to any mailbox, so there's nothing particularly special about
the INBOX except that it's the default mailbox.

It would be a bit stupid to deliver email to a place that you can't read
it, or vice versa.

>  Using the POP3 moves the mail from the
> IMAP4 INBOX to the Outlook Inbox.

So, now we have to say "In POP3 this gets a bit blurred as the Outlook
inbox is also a mechanism for receiving new mail". Heck, wherever you read
the email, it got delivered there by some means.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex