OT: Collaboration replacement via Toltec/Bynari (was How many people to admin a Cyrus system?)

Rob Mueller robm at fastmail.fm
Wed Nov 14 01:49:10 EST 2007

> So you will have a choice of 3 commercial Outlook plug-ins,

What are the 3 commercial Outlook plugins? Obviously the Toltec one, but
which others?

I've actually always liked the idea of what toltec + bynari were doing. It's
basically using the IMAP server as a database where folders = tables, emails
= records. The nice things about using an IMAP server is that:
1) you're reusing a protocol, rather than creating another one
2) emails can't be altered, so an update is a delete + add which makes
detecting changes easy
3) the server is always authoriative, so syncing tends to be easier

Of course reusing an email protocol to do these other things it was never
meant to do seems hacky as well. Still, is it really any more hacky than
using a blatant file protocol (despite calling files "resources" and
directories "collections") than CalDAV?

As an FYI, last time I tried Bynari and Toltec, my general conclusions were:

Bynari - Annoying they use a binary format for storing the information, but
good that they use the 0-9 ACLs to designate what folders are
calendar/contacts/etc folders, means you don't need the damn ANNOTATEMORE
extension and the patches to make it work with arbitrary values. Seemed a
bit "flaky". It creates some process that runs next to Outlook, and
sometimes that process wouldn't quit when you quit Outlook leaving things in
an odd state. Install/removing the software seemed to be prone to
failures/screwing up your config.

Toltec - Seemed less prone to bugginess than bynari, and using an XML format
seemed more open so we could read it ourselves for other features in the
future. Using ANNOTATEMORE was a pain. There was a showstopper problem
however. When I tested it seemed that Toltec would display all sub-folders
of INBOX, and using annotations it would set the Calendar, Contacts, etc
folders as appropriate to display those items, and all other folders to
display emails, but it would not show the INBOX! At the time I asked support
about this it was suggested that you should setup a POP account to download
the emails from the inbox to the "Local Folders" PST file. This seemed to
completely defeat the purpose of IMAP to me. Has that been fixed?

Also out of interest, how much caching does toltec do? Basically it seems to
me to get any decent performance you effectively have to download all the
calendar/task/etc items from the appropriate folders and cache them all
inside outlook. Any attempt to get from the server on a "when needed" basis
seems like it would never perform well?

Rob