how to create MX record in remote server ?

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 07:16:31 EDT 2007

This is not related to cyrus but to your DNS server configuration

looking for hosteurope.de I see
# dig hosteurope.de mx

; <<>> DiG 9.3.1 <<>> hosteurope.de mx
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;hosteurope.de.                 IN      MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
hosteurope.de.          300     IN      MX      50 mx0.hosteurope.de.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
hosteurope.de.          3600    IN      NS      dns.hosteurope.de.
hosteurope.de.          3600    IN      NS      dns2.hosteurope.de.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
mx0.hosteurope.de.      3600    IN      A       80.237.138.6

;; Query time: 71 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Thu Apr 19 13:11:46 2007

Then you have to chnage the config on dns.hosteurope.de  (or maybe dns2)
and add an entry for dedicated.hosteurope.de, to finally get

dedicated.hosteurope.de. xxx     IN      MX      xx
what_you_want_here.hosteurope.de.

On 4/19/07, JOYDEEP <j.bakshi at unlimitedmail.org> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I have installed cyrus - imap on a remote hired server. the domain of
> the server is  dedicated.hosteurope.de
> but I can't get any mail in the cyrus mailboxes.
> I use dnsstuff to query the dedicated.hosteurope.de  and find as

> Getting MX record for dedicated.hosteurope.de (from local DNS server, may be cached)...
> There is no MX record for dedicated.hosteurope.de!  That's bad.
> Checking for an A record... Got it!
>
> so how can I add dedicated.hosteurope.de in MX record ? how can I create such MX in the remote server ?
>
> please help
>
> ----

Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com