Ubuntu cyrus mailboxes cannot reachable

Imre Veres imre.veres at gmail.com
Fri May 5 03:05:41 EDT 2006

Hi All,

My problem with cyrus-imapd is that clients cannot reach their mailboxes.

To tell the whole story:

1. With the help of cyrus-sasl people I've managed to make
authentication works perfectly. I thought that I had one more problem:
when postfix takes mail through TCP lmtp socket, cyrus replied with
"550 mailbox unknown". My configuration was the following at this
point:

configdirectory: /var/lib/cyrus
defaultpartition: default
partition-default: /var/spool/cyrus/mail
defaultdomain: company.hu
altnamespace: no
unixhierarchysep: yes
lmtp_downcase_rcpt: yes
admins: cyrus
lmtp_admins: lmtpuser
autocreatequota: 30720
autocreateinboxfolders: yes
autosubscribeinboxfolders: yes
allowanonymouslogin: no
umask: 077
sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
sieveusehomedir: false
sievedir: /var/spool/sieve
postmaster: postmaster
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
sasl_mech_list: plain login
sasl_minimum_layer: 0
hashimapspool: false
allowplaintext: yes
lmtp_allowplaintext: yes
popminpoll: 2
allowapop: no
virtdomains: yes

2. Notice that "hashimapspool" line. After I changed that line to
"true", cyrus found all mailbox so mail could arrive. "That's cool" I
thought but there are another problem which I cannot solve:

3. With an IMAP client, plaintext authentication is no problem, but
then nothing happens, client waits and waits and cyrus does not log
anything at all. So there is a strange situation now that clients can
send mail to each other and mail arrives but noone can see that mails.
:-(

I'm sorry I cannot cut logs in because server is being moved at this
time, maybe later this day but there are lines with "telling master 2"
then something about "there's 0 workers" then "login plaintext
<username>" then nothing at all. So I cannot know where cyrus try to
find mailbox.

I guess if it finds mailbox when the mail arrives it must found
mailbox in case of receiving mail, am I right?

There is another strange bug: After a while when some (less than 5)
clients connected to cyrus, I cannot make new connections - if I
restart cyrus everything works again (for a while). Where should I
start investigating? Here's my cyrus.conf:

START {
        recover         cmd="/usr/sbin/ctl_cyrusdb -r"
        delprune        cmd="/usr/sbin/ctl_deliver -E 3"
        tlsprune        cmd="/usr/sbin/tls_prune"
}

SERVICES {
        imap            cmd="imapd" listen="imap" prefork=0
        lmtp            cmd="lmtpd" listen="127.0.0.1:lmtp" prefork=0
maxchild=20
        sieve           cmd="timsieved" listen="localhost:sieve" prefork=0
        notify          cmd="notifyd"
listen="/var/run/cyrus/socket/notify" proto="udp" prefork=1
}

EVENTS {
        checkpoint      cmd="/usr/sbin/ctl_cyrusdb -c" period=30
        delprune        cmd="/usr/sbin/ctl_deliver -E 3" at=0401
        tlsprune        cmd="/usr/sbin/tls_prune" at=0401
}

Thanks,

Imre Veres