Can't get sieve to send mail

Ken Murchison murch at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Mar 30 11:05:07 EST 2006

Scott Bronson wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 08:01 -0500, Ken Murchison wrote:
>> Is notifyd running?  Can it find the 'sendmail' binary?
>
> Ah.  I thought notifyd was just for mail notifications, not sieve too.
> I was misled by this entry in imapd.conf(5):
>
>   notifysocket: {configdirectory}/socket/notify
>        Unix domain socket that the new mail notification daemon listens
>        on.
>
> So I didn't enable notifyd when installing.  Now it's running hunky
> dory.
>

> Might I suggest some changes so others don't suffer the same fate?
>
> 1. change the description of notifysocket in imapd.conf(5) to be
>    applicable to more than new mail notification:
>
>    old: Unix domain socket that the new mail notification...
>    new: Unix domain socket that the notification daemon listens on.

Done.

> 2. Add a debug message that says that the notification daemon could not
>    be contacted so the notification is being dropped on the floor.  That
>    way the problem would have been less silent.

There *are* LOG_ERR messages (imap/notify.c) when we fail to talk to
notifyd.  You should have these in your logs.

> 3. The notification sent by sieve has the subject "New mail
>    notification."  That's a little strange.  Is there any way to
>    change the subject so it doesn't overlap with actual new mail
>    notifications?  The Sieve notification could be sent for any
>    reason.

Even Sieve notifications are triggered by new mail (Sieve only runs on
mail delivery.  I did change the Subject: so that it uses the 'class'
passed to it (either "MAIL" or "SIEVE").

> 4. master/conf/normal.conf, make notifyd sound a bit more critical:
>    change: # this is only necessary if using notifications
>            # notify cmd="notifyd" ...
>    to    : # this is necessary when using notifications
>            notify cmd="notifyd" ...

Changed it to "this is required when using notifications".

>    Why not enable notifyd by default?  Proper notification is a rather
>    important part of sieve filtering isn't it?

Because its not required and not everybody uses it.

--
Kenneth Murchison
Systems Programmer