Restored mailboxes causes replication to bail

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Wed Mar 22 20:21:35 EST 2006

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006, Roland Pope wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am in the process of testing the new 2.3.3 Replication code and it has
> highlighted an issue which seems to relate to how I have been recovering
> people's mailboxes.
>
> I occasionally get a call from a user 'xxx' saying they would like a backup
> copy of all their mail loaded down from tape, adjacent to their live email.
> What I have been doing is to create a user.xxx.Recovered folder and load
> their whole mailbox heirachy from backup to this location.
> Then I run a a recursive reconstruct to add the reloaded mailboxes into thier
> live account (ie reconstruct -rf user.xxx.Recovered).
> When I try to replicate a user which has such a 'Recovered' mailbox, the
> replication client  bails out because it seems to treat the
> 'user.xxx.Recovered' mailbox as the user.xxx INBOX and trys to do a rename
> (which fails). There must be something stored in the cyrus.* files in a
> reloaded INBOX which treats such a folder differently to normal user
> sub-mailbox?
> What should I do here?
> Should I remove one of the cyrus.* files from the reloaded inbox folder
> before doing the reconstruct?
> Or am I doing something incorrect with my reloads that I should be doing
> differently.

I don't have any experience with the replication code, but I use almost
the exact same procedure as you to restore mail for users.  The only
difference is that I only restore the cyrus.header file and the ##. files.
I never restore the cyrus.cache and cyrus.index files.

I can't remember the exact reason, but I think whenever I had those files
around, I couldn't get reconstruct to work on the restored mailbox.  Note
that this was on Cyrus 2.1.x originally, so maybe it works fine anyways in
2.2.x and 2.3.x.

Something worth trying anyways.

 	Andy