Latin1/UTF8 chars?

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Tue Mar 14 08:25:08 EST 2006

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Andrzej Adam Filip wrote:
> Expert from /etc/imapd.conf installed by debian cyrus package (patched?).

Yes.

> # Munging illegal characters in headers
> # Headers of RFC2882 messages must not have characters with the 8th bit
> # set. However, too many badly-written MUAs generate this, including most
> # spamware. If you kept reject8bit disabled, you can choose to leave the
> # crappage untouched by disabling this (if you don't care that IMAP SEARCH
> # won't work right anymore.
> #munge8bit: no

Do notice that I warn that munge8bit will slightly damage your IMAP spool.
If you're willing to take it up to accomodate the users of gutter trash
MUAs, it is up to you.  Don't cry to us if the resulting mail spool is later
rejected by a new Cyrus version, or if it breaks server-side searching or
causes UTF8 clients to go insane, kills your cat and drinks your beer.

  Henrique Holschuh