Latin1/UTF8 chars?

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Tue Mar 14 09:44:25 EST 2006

Quoting Elver Loho <elver.loho at gmail.com>:

> Mail is sent with specific Estonian characters in it (Latin-1 /
> ISO-8859-1 encoded). These chars look like õüäö and ÕÜÄÖ
>
> These chars in the subject line are replaced with X by what I assume
> to be Cyrus. (The mails go through Fetchmail, Postfix, Cyrus and
> Thunderbird and yes, it could be any one of them, but my bet is on
> Cyrus at the moment.)

I doubt it was Cyrus.  Cyrus (unless patched) will simply reject such
messages.  Probably something else along the way "fixed" it.  However,
do note that headers (this includes Subject header) can contain only
printable US-ASCII characters.  Everything else must be encoded.
Hence, if your (or somebody else's) email client is putting raw latin-1
into headers it is broken.  You should switch to different mail client
(or fix/upgrade existing one).  Some mail servers will simply reject
such messages with permanent failures.  Some don't care.  Some might
have filtering plugins (like anti-virus and/or anti-spam) installed
that will get rid of anything non-US-ASCII (like replacing it with
spaces, dots or 'x' characters) or instruct mail server to reject a
message.  Some (server side) anti-virus products will simply block such
messages.

Some email clients (like Outlook) have this as configurable option.
Which is even more broken (but at least fixable by user).  Users should
not have a choice of breaking standards...

--
See Ya' later, alligator!
http://www.8-P.ca/