Can't connect to server

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sun Mar 12 11:07:22 EST 2006

Am So, den 12.03.2006 schrieb Jim Sabatke um 15:50:

> I know this is a common problem.  I've spent well over 100 hours
> scouring google for answers.  I've sunk to just 'trying' things to see
> how they work.  I had cyrus working with postfix once, but I had a disk
> crash a year ago and lost some of the setup. Fortunately I didn't lose
> much email, which I badly need, and soon.
>
> I couldn't connect to "telnet localhost imap" until I activated imap in
> intetd, which is contrary to 'most' documentation.

You then activated the wrong IMAP server. Cyrus-IMAPd has a standalone
daemon master process and isn't (x)inetd controlled.

> Now I can't get past the following:
>
> jim at bandit:/programs/mail/cyrus-imapd-2.2.12> cyradm
> cyradm> cm user.jim
> createmailbox: no connection to server
> cyradm>

This is a result of running not Cyrus-IMAPd but a different IMAP server.

> I assume the server is cyrus.  I just don't know where to go next and am
> very frustrated.  I would be happy to just be pointed to a faq or
> instructions, but I find that what is online is not in anyway
> consistant; probably due to the advanced coding of cyrus.  Even
> compiling the program is almost undocumented unless one knows what all
> the flags do.

> Jim

The path you show above looks very uncommon. Which OS / release do you
run? Doesn't it ship with a binary version of Cyrus-IMAPd which you
could easily install? Doesn't it have an init script?

Alexander

Serendipity 17:02:58 up 16 days, 18:51, load average: 0.08, 0.17, 0.23