Can't connect to server

Jim Sabatke jsabatke at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 09:50:59 EST 2006

I know this is a common problem.  I've spent well over 100 hours
scouring google for answers.  I've sunk to just 'trying' things to see
how they work.  I had cyrus working with postfix once, but I had a disk
crash a year ago and lost some of the setup. Fortunately I didn't lose
much email, which I badly need, and soon.

I couldn't connect to "telnet localhost imap" until I activated imap in
intetd, which is contrary to 'most' documentation.

Now I can't get past the following:

jim at bandit:/programs/mail/cyrus-imapd-2.2.12> cyradm
cyradm> cm user.jim
createmailbox: no connection to server
cyradm>

I assume the server is cyrus.  I just don't know where to go next and am
very frustrated.  I would be happy to just be pointed to a faq or
instructions, but I find that what is online is not in anyway
consistant; probably due to the advanced coding of cyrus.  Even
compiling the program is almost undocumented unless one knows what all
the flags do.

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA,

Jim