How to suppress "Couldn't find mech CRAM-MD5" message

Rosenbaum, Larry M. rosenbaumlm at ornl.gov
Sat Mar 11 18:20:23 EST 2006

> From: Ken Murchison [mailto:murch at andrew.cmu.edu]
>
> Rosenbaum, Larry M. wrote:
> > Running Cyrus IMAP 2.3.1 on Solaris 9.
> >
> > Is there any way to suppress the following messages which have been
> > showing up in the syslog and authlog?
> >
> > Mar 10 10:32:23 email imaps[3908]: [ID 702911 auth.notice] Couldn't
find
> > mech CRAM-MD5
> >
> > We don't support CRAM-MD5, but we don't want to be warned every time
> > somebody tries to use it.  Cyrus SASL was compiled without CRAM-MD5
> > support.  Here is some other configuration information:
>
> Which client is trying to use CRAM-MD5 even though its not advertised?

I don't know for sure, but I would suspect they are using Eudora,
probably an old version like 5.1-1 or 5.2.  That's what we *used to*
support here a few years ago.

> You can either complain to the client vendor, see if you can configure
> it to not unilaterally try CRAM,

We don't have a support contract with Qualcomm any more.  Perhaps if I
can tie the messages with an IP number we can get the users to change
their settings.

> change syslog.conf to not log auth.notice messages,

I don't think our security folks will go for that.

> or tweak the SASL source to not log this stuff.

I had been assuming that all we had to do to not support CRAM-MD5 was to
build SASL without it, and it would just reject AUTH CRAM-MD5 commands
without logging it all over the place.  Is there maybe a SASL or IMAP
setting that will help?  I don't mind it in the IMAP logs as much as in
the other logs.