machine mismatch UUID

David Carter dpc22 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Jul 27 04:27:09 EDT 2006

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006, Fabio Rossetti wrote:

> The old master used UUIDs ( sync_machineid:1) but using the same
> configuration on the ex-replica gave this in syslog:
>
> Jul 27 00:00:00 exreplica master[23136]: Machine mismatch: 1 != 2
> Jul 27 00:00:00 exreplica master[23136]: Couldn't initialise UUID subsystem

This means that the sync_machineid setting didn't match the machine=X line
in /var/imap-hermes/master_uuid. This file should be created automatically
the first time that you run Cyrus with sync_machineid set.

Message UUIDs are seeded from sync_machineid and the time at which master
starts. These values are recorded in /var/imap-hermes/master_uuid as a
sanity check in case the clock on a system is behaving erratically. There
is also a timestamp_generation field which can be used to sort things out
if a system clock has been playing up, although I've never had to use it.

David Carter                             Email: David.Carter at ucs.cam.ac.uk
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street,       Fax:   (01223) 334679
Cambridge UK. CB2 3QH.