Berkeley DB upgrade?

Matthew Schumacher matt.s at aptalaska.net
Tue Jul 11 16:52:27 EDT 2006

Paul Boven wrote:

> Thank you for your reply. I was already considering changing to
> skiplist, but at the moment the problem is that I don't know which
> database is where, and what kind of backend it is. On my test-machine, I
> think I've located all Berkeley's, but Cyrus is completely dead, failing
> with a 'DB4' error. So first of all I'm trying to find which ones I'm
> missing - which is getting a bit urgent, given the planned upgrade for
> tomorrow :-/
>
> Regards, Paul Boven.

If you use the command `file` you can figure out what is what:

# file mailboxes.db
mailboxes.db: Apple QuickTime movie file (skip)

That is a skiplist file...

# file /etc/mail/aliases.db
/etc/mail/aliases.db: Berkeley DB (Hash, version 7, native byte-order)

That is a bdb file.

On your production system you should be able to use:

# su cyrus -c "/usr/cyrus/bin/ctl_mboxlist -d > mailboxes.txt"

To dump the mailboxes to a file, then later after you change your
imapd.conf to use skiplist, you can import it with:

# su cyrus -c "/usr/cyrus/bin/ctl_mboxlist -u < mailboxes.txt"

HTH,

schu