Berkeley DB upgrade?

Paul Boven p.boven at chello.nl
Tue Jul 11 14:15:05 EDT 2006

Hi Matthew,

Matthew Schumacher wrote:
> Paul Boven wrote:
>> I'm planning an upgrade from a Cyrus-2.2.8 to Cyrus-2.2.12. However, we
>> will also be upgrading Berkeley from 4.1.25 to 4.4.20 because of some
>> performance issues with the first.
>>
>> So now I'm wondering: should I call db_upgrade from Berkeley on each of
>> these databases? And which databases exactly would that be? This is a
>> stock standard 2.2.8, with no specific backends mentioned in the
>> imapd.conf or compiled in. What are the filenames/locations where I
>> should find Berkeley db files?

> If it where me I would downgrade your bdb back to 4.1.25 so that you can
> read the files then export them to text format.  Once you upgrade cyrus,
>  import them into skiplist format and be done with bdb.
>
> I have a fairly large system and was always bumping into bdb problems so
> about a week ago I finally decided to go to skiplist format and haven't
> looked back.
>
> Skiplist should also make things easier next time you upgrade since it
> doesn't depend on external libraries and their versions.

Thank you for your reply. I was already considering changing to
skiplist, but at the moment the problem is that I don't know which
database is where, and what kind of backend it is. On my test-machine, I
think I've located all Berkeley's, but Cyrus is completely dead, failing
with a 'DB4' error. So first of all I'm trying to find which ones I'm
missing - which is getting a bit urgent, given the planned upgrade for
tomorrow :-/

Regards, Paul Boven.