Mailstore filesystem

Marten Lehmann lehmann at cnm.de
Tue Jul 4 15:58:50 EDT 2006

> I think this is because reiserfs is better handling a lot of small
> files, while ext3 performes better with a few big files.

Is it possible that you are working with a fairly old linux
distribution? Today's ext3 shouldn't have these issues any longer,
otherwise Redhat wouldn't ship it as the only supported filesystem with
its Enterprise distributions. A modern 2.6er ext3 has indexes and
b-trees on top of the common ext3-layer, so even big directories
shouldn't be a problem any more.

Regards
Marten