IMAP sync tool (rsync for IMAP)

David Lang david.lang at digitalinsight.com
Thu Dec 21 19:11:22 EST 2006

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006, Florin Andrei wrote:

> I'm currently using two IMAP accounts, one on Cyrus-2.2 the other on
> Cyrus-2.3.
>
> The one on Cyrus-2.3 will get decomissioned so I need to transfer all my
> email, preserving the folders/subfolders tree, under a specific folder
> (oldmail/foo/bar) on the 2.2 server.
> I need to do the bulk of the transfer sometime soon, then sync up again a few
> times after that, until the day the account on the 2.3 server gets nuked.
>
> Essentially, I need a tool that I can point at servers A and B and tell it
> "get all the email from my account on server A to a specific folder on my
> account on server B, preserving the subfolders hierarchy".
> The tool needs to be smart enough to repeat the operation later on but then
> it must only transfer the new messages.
> The tool may run on one or the other IMAP servers, or even on a 3rd machine,
> since it should be network-based. Pretty much all systems are Linux 'round
> here, some Windows stragglers too.
>
> Sort of like rsync for IMAP, if that makes sense.
>
> So far, the only tool I've found is imapsync:
>
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/imapsync/
>
> Anyone tried it with Cyrus? Good/bad experiences?

I just used it to move from 2.1 to 2.3, there were a handful of messages it
didn't like (~30 out of a few hundred thousand messages) but it appears to have
worked well enough to fix the last few messages manually.

most of the errors were cases of invalid headers that 2.3 wouldn't accept, but
2.1 obviously did.

David Lang