Mailbox is locked by POP server

Pascal Gienger Pascal.Gienger at uni-konstanz.de
Tue Dec 19 15:53:02 EST 2006

former03 | Baltasar Cevc <baltasar.cevc at former03.de> wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> Personally I do not use POP3 any more - however I remember that there
> was a limitaition of 1 connection per mailbox in other servers.

Yes.
The POP3 RFC states that operations such as DELEte a message will become
"final" after issuing a "QUIT" command. If connection breaks, no change is
made to the mailbox.

For having multiple concurrent POP3 access to a mailbox a complete
transaction based model including rollbacks would be needed to implement
proper POP3. I don't think anybody wants to improve pop3d to accomplish
that ;-)