SOLVED! Re: Possible sendmail misconfiguration to deliver to cyrus

Todd Lyons tlyons at ivenue.com
Mon Dec 4 15:14:45 EST 2006

On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 07:58:02PM -0800, Todd Lyons wrote:

>I'm looking at a cyrus limitation right now.  I'm really thinking this
>is not cyrus' problem.  I'm trying to figure out if it's actually a
>sendmail limitation or a sendmail config error on my part.

It seems to have just been a sendmail misconfiguration on my part.

>Here's what's in my sendmail.mc:
>[root at lunar root]# tail -n 7 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
>MAILER(cyrus)dnl
>define(`confLOCAL_MAILER',`cyrus')dnl
>LOCAL_RULE_0
>R$=N                    $: $#local $: $1
>R$=N < @ $=w . >        $: $#local $: $1
>Rbb + $+ < @ $=w . >    $#cyrusbb $: $1

So far, this modified version works as expected, both for real users and
virtusers.  I'm still testing, but I'll post what I have here and if
anybody has any comments, I'd love to hear them:

define(`CYRUSV2_MAILER_FLAGS',`Ah5@/:|w')dnl
define(`CYRUSV2_MAILER_ARGS',`FILE /var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp')dnl
define(`confLOCAL_MAILER',`cyrusv2')dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl
MAILER(procmail)dnl
MAILER(cyrusv2)dnl
LOCAL_RULE_0
R$=N                    $: $#local $: $1
R$=N < @ $=w . >        $: $#local $: $1
Rbb + $+ < @ $=w . >    $#cyrusbb $: $1

If you'll notice, one of the things I did was update sendmail to use the
cyrusv2 mailer instead of the cyrus one.  I did that because adding the
w to the FLAGS macro with mailer cyrus did nothing.  But when I
converted it to use cyrusv2, the w made it do the checks as you said.

To be honest with you, I do not know exactly what the LOCAL_RULE_0 rules
do for me.  I do not know if it is still needed after converting to
cyrusv2.  I do not know if it is causing undesirable effects.  I do not
know if it is even being used.  But I know that it works and I'm not
going to "fix" it unless someone here mentions that I should.

I can say however, that this from my logs is like music to my ears:
Dec  4 11:53:43 mta1 sendmail[9689]: kB4Jqwvq009689: <rivira at domain.com>... User unknown
Dec  4 11:53:46 mta1 sendmail[9689]: kB4Jqwvq009689: <joseph at domain.com>... User unknown
Dec  4 11:53:47 mta1 sendmail[9689]: kB4Jqwvq009689: <sapp at domain.com>... User unknown
Dec  4 11:53:49 mta1 sendmail[9689]: kB4Jqwvq009689: <bwade at domain.com>... User unknown
Dec  4 11:53:53 mta1 sendmail[10215]: kB4Jrpvn010215: <burton at domain.com>... User unknown

It used to accept all of those, scan for spam and virus, then pass off
to cyrus.  Now it rejects before the spam scan, resulting in much lower
load.

Thanks to all!
- --
Regards...		Todd
Well, it's Karch...   --frequently heard after every amazing move he does
Linux kernel 2.6.17-5mdv   1 user,  load average: 0.17, 0.18, 0.21