Guidance on Use of Reconstruct

jimbrett099 at comcast.net jimbrett099 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 30 12:48:44 EDT 2006

>> How are the primary & secondary sharing data?

SUN RAID 3320 configured as RAID 1+0 (stripe and mirror).  Primary/secondary IMAP servers mount (NFS) the raid as a shared memory storage device.  Each server connects via SCSI interface. Number of RAID disks depends on hardware but minimum is 4.  Following directories are accessed via mount point:

/var/imap
/var/spool/imap
/var/spool/sieve
/var/spool/postfix

// - - - Original Q&A - - -

Is it overkill to run reconstruct (and quota) after every failover
(which so far has never been due to cyrus being corrupted).

>> I think so, yes. It's much more effective to note in the logs that
>> particular mailboxes aren't working, and reconstruct them, even if
>> you know that the system wasn't shutdown cleanly.

Primary and secondary IMAP servers accessed via virtual IP and
using RAID device. Cyrus 2.2.12 on SunOS 5.8 Generic_117350-13
sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V240.