Sieve vacation rule not working..

Kjetil Torgrim Homme kjetilho at ifi.uio.no
Sun Aug 20 09:01:08 EDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-08-20 at 11:14 +0200, former03 | Baltasar Cevc wrote:
> I never coded sieve myself (Horde ingo is my friend ;-) - however I
> think there should be quotes about the text.

you can use either, notice he used the the "text:" construct which means
the next lines until the "." should be used verbatim as the string.

> Another think you should make sure ist to check that your address is in
> the to or cc (I think that can be done using the "addresses" parameter
> (maybe the lack hereof in your script is the reason vacation does not
> work) - otherwise mailing lists will get out of office responsed (same
> applies to spam meaning lots of useless backscatter will be produced).

if you don't specify "addresses", the default is your local address (the
envelope recipient).  in many cases the receiving MTA will accept many
more addresses than Cyrus know of, and in these cases the user will have
to list the relevant addresses explicitly.  (this depends on your setup,
of course.  we rewrite the address in To/Cc to the user's official
address, but leave the envelope address alone, so they can be different.
if you rewrite neither or both, the To/Cc and envelope will magically
match, and you avoid the whole problem.)

this does not cause a problem with backscatter, since your address has
to be listed in To/Cc in order to respond.  if your list of valid
addresses is missing some, you simply won't send out as many vacation
notices.

> Try something like (which is a shortened version of what Ingo produced
> and will give some additional safety for mailing list posts etc.:
>     if allof ( not exists ["list-help", "list-unsubscribe",
> "list-subscribe", "list-owner", "list-post", "list-archive",
> "list-id"], not header :comparator "i;ascii-casemap" :is "Precedence"
> "list,bulk" ) {

Cyrus will check Precedence and auto-submitted (RFC 3834) automatically.
it will also not respond to MAILER-DAEMON, LISTSERV, majordomo,
*-request and owner-*.

>     vacation :days 1 :addresses "baltasar.cevc_AT_former03.de" :subject
> "FORMER03 AUTORESPONDER" "FORMER03 AUTORESPONDER
>     I am out of the office at the moment
>     ";

(why do you bother rewriting your address in the example when it's
displayed clearly in From: -- surely address harvesters will prefer
values there over random text in body.)
--
Kjetil T.