How can I enable/force compression?

Ciprian Vizitiu cvizitiu at gbif.org
Tue Apr 25 12:38:26 EDT 2006

> It seems it is the problem of Outlook, NOT cyrus problem.

It looks like; but then imagine me asking this question on an Outlook
mailing list:

"Hi, I have a Cyrus mail server running on Linux and..." :-]

Anyway, Ken's suggestion with UIDVALIDITY it's a good start for me.

> I still have the same problem of using Outlook for a very
> IMAP quota since
> the outlook uses mailbox file to store the IMAP folders,
> including INBOX.
> Office 2003 Outlook is better to handle large file in my own
> test, but it is
> still very slow to fetch mail from IMAP server.
> My suggestion is to distribute the mails in INBOX to several
> IMAP folders
> and this will divide the single large file of INBOX mailbox
> file on the
> client PC to several relatiively smaller mailbox files.
> This may reduce the CPU and RAM requirement and hence a faster mail
> checking.

Oh, tell me there is a patch to do this. Because last time when I checked:

"As in earlier versions of Outlook, Internet Message Access Protocol Version
4rev1 (IMAP4) accounts and HTTP accounts use .pst files that do not use the
Unicode format. Therefore, the .pst files for IMAP accounts or for HTTP
accounts are limited to 2 GB."

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=830336

Already got there with one of my users... :-s

PS(/2) Nobody seems to answer to the other one though: Outlook idiocy aside,
is there a way to enable compression "on the fly"?