How can I enable/force compression?

Patrick T. Tsang patrick at patricktsang.net
Mon Apr 24 11:15:22 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ciprian Vizitiu" <cvizitiu at gbif.org>
To: <info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 4:54 PM
Subject: How can I enable/force compression?

> Hi everybody,
>
> One user has more than 20.000 messages in Inbox. And he's an Outlook user.
> And one normally does not tell the CEO what to do. So; It used to be that
> upon first login in the morning it took more some 1 minute to get the
> headers in Outlook; but ever since the upgrade from 2.2.8 to 2.2.12 and
> enabling squatter, the login has increased to 25 minutes! =:-o Which time
> is
> spent mostly in fetching the headers and updating the Outlook local cache.
>
> I've noticed that the very same operation performed via SSH (143 forwarded
> via the user's DSL) is significantly faster when I enable compression on
> SSH; funny I know, encryption should tax the whole process badly but
> then...
> Anyway here's my question: is there anyway that I can enable compression
> or
> SOMETHING?
>

> ... And then although this id definitely NOT the place to ask, maybe a
> kind
> soul on this list has a any constructive hints for me regarding why
> Outlook
> insists into re-reading all the god damn headers every-time to begin
> with...
> :-(

It seems it is the problem of Outlook, NOT cyrus problem.
I still have the same problem of using Outlook for a very IMAP quota since
the outlook uses mailbox file to store the IMAP folders, including INBOX.
Office 2003 Outlook is better to handle large file in my own test, but it is
still very slow to fetch mail from IMAP server.
My suggestion is to distribute the mails in INBOX to several IMAP folders
and this will divide the single large file of INBOX mailbox file on the
client PC to several relatiively smaller mailbox files.
This may reduce the CPU and RAM requirement and hence a faster mail
checking.

Hope this helps.

Patrick