How can I enable/force compression?

Ciprian Vizitiu cvizitiu at gbif.org
Tue Apr 25 04:54:24 EDT 2006

Hi everybody,

One user has more than 20.000 messages in Inbox. And he's an Outlook user.
And one normally does not tell the CEO what to do. So; It used to be that
upon first login in the morning it took more some 1 minute to get the
headers in Outlook; but ever since the upgrade from 2.2.8 to 2.2.12 and
enabling squatter, the login has increased to 25 minutes! =:-o Which time is
spent mostly in fetching the headers and updating the Outlook local cache.

I've noticed that the very same operation performed via SSH (143 forwarded
via the user's DSL) is significantly faster when I enable compression on
SSH; funny I know, encryption should tax the whole process badly but then...
Anyway here's my question: is there anyway that I can enable compression or
SOMETHING?

... And then although this id definitely NOT the place to ask, maybe a kind
soul on this list has a any constructive hints for me regarding why Outlook
insists into re-reading all the god damn headers every-time to begin with...
:-(