Stress testing Cyrus + postfix

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Thu Apr 13 09:45:14 EDT 2006

Jim Norton wrote:
> Quoting Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com>:
>
>> Anyone knows any scripts for stress testing an email system I just
>> brought up??
>>
>> Would appreciate pointers to some if possible.
>>

> How about a simple Perl script that sends multiple emails per second
> to a few system and Cyrus mailboxes? You could then run the script for
> as long as you wanted.
>
> If you need help writing such a script let me know... I could write it
> in about 20 minutes or so for you.

Two scripts that come with postfix are smtp-sink and smtp-source. Think
of smtp-sink as a drain, it sends all e-mail sent to it into the bit
bucket (for testing how fast your postfix setup can send e-mail).
smtp-source generates e-mail, for testing the speed/efficiency of mail
that would be incoming to your postfix setup. smtp-source is the tool
you probably want to use, although it will load postfix down more than
cyrus it may still be valuable for testing cyrus limitations.

--Blake