Stress testing Cyrus + postfix

Jim Norton jimnorton at jimnorton.org
Wed Apr 12 22:31:48 EDT 2006

Quoting Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com>:

> Anyone knows any scripts for stress testing an email system I just
> brought up??
>
> Would appreciate pointers to some if possible.

I wrote a little Perl script for stress testing an email system. It's
very simple minded. I just takes an 'addresses' file which contains a
list of your email recipients and a 'mail.txt' file which contains the
text of the body of the emails that will be sent.

The script just continuously sends everybody in the 'addresses' an
email with the contents of 'mail.txt' in a loop until you do a CTRL-C
to stop the script.

The file mail.pl contains a variable named $Time that represents how
long the program delays before sending the next email. The comment in
the script is wrong about this variable. $Time is expressed in seconds.
As written the script delays  200 milliseconds between each mail that
is sent.

The script does require the following perl modules: Mail::Send and
Mail::Mailer.

Here is a link to get the tar file:
ftp://ftp.midvalleyhosting.com/pub/stresser.tar

Hope this helps.

--
Jim Norton - http://www.jamesnortonphotography.com

"I cannot copy nature in a servile way. I must interpret nature and
submit it to
the spirit of the picture" - Henri Matisse