SQUATTER script and non English folders

David Carter dpc22 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Oct 28 05:46:57 EDT 2005

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005, lkolchin at univ.haifa.ac.il wrote:

> Interesting, when I use webinterface (IMP or Squirremail) after I've finished to run squatter I got this message:
> imap[15835]: SQUAT returned 45 messages
>
> But after a while, when I got new messages in this account, I've got

squat is just a first approximation to narrow down the search. After imapd
gets a list of messages from squat it has to search the messages to find
out which ones are genuine matches. Any messages appearing after the squat
index was generated are automatically included as potential matches:

imap/search_engines.c:

       /* Add in any unindexed messages. They must be searched manually. */
       for (i = 0; i < vlen; i++) {
         msg_vector[i] |= unindexed_vector[i];
       }

> Does it mean that cyrus.squat file has been updated automatically, even
> before I've run "squatter -r user" again? If so, why should I run
> "squatter -r user" on regular basis?

The squat indexes are just a snapshot of the state of a given mailbox. As
that mailbox changes imapd will have to work harder to search messages not
covered by the index.

David Carter                             Email: David.Carter at ucs.cam.ac.uk
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street,       Fax:   (01223) 334679
Cambridge UK. CB2 3QH.