postfix + cyrus-imap

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Tue Oct 25 10:12:40 EDT 2005

> I found nothing in the maillog that could help me figure out how the
> incoming mails are handled.
>
> Here are my configuration files (imapd.conf, cyrus.conf and master.cf)
>
> imapd.conf
>
>  configdirectory:/var/imap
> partition-default:/var/spool/imap
> admins: cyrus
> sievedir: var/imap/sieve
> sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
> sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix
> hashimapspool: false
> unixhierarchysep: yes
> altnamespace: yes
> duplicate_db: skiplist
> tlscache_db: skiplist
> sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
> sievenotifier: mailto
>
> cyrus.conf
>
> # standard standalone server implementation
>
> START {
>   # do not delete this entry!
>   recover	cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -r"
>
>   # this is only necessary if using idled for IMAP IDLE
> #  idled		cmd="idled"
> }
>
> # UNIX sockets start with a slash and are put into /var/imap/sockets
> SERVICES {
>   # add or remove based on preferences
>   imap		cmd="imapd" listen="imap" prefork=5
>   imaps		cmd="imapd -s" listen="imaps" prefork=1
>   pop3		cmd="pop3d" listen="pop3" prefork=3
>   pop3s		cmd="pop3d -s" listen="pop3s" prefork=1
>   sieve		cmd="timsieved" listen="sieve" prefork=0
>
>   # LMTP is required for delivery
>   lmtpunix	cmd="lmtpd" listen="/var/imap/socket/lmtp" prefork=1
>
>   # this is only necessary if using notifications
>   notify	cmd="notifyd" listen="/var/imap/socket/notify"
> proto="udp" prefork=1
> }
>
> EVENTS {
>   # this is required
>   checkpoint	cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -c" period=30
>
>   # this is only necessary if using duplicate delivery suppression
>   delprune	cmd="ctl_deliver -E 3" at=0400
>
>   # this is only necessary if caching TLS sessions
>   tlsprune	cmd="tls_prune" at=0400
> }
>
> master.cf
>
> # The Cyrus deliver program has changed incompatibly, multiple times.
> #
> old-cyrus unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
>   flags=R user=cyrus argv=/cyrus/bin/deliver -e -m ${extension} ${user}
> # Cyrus 2.1.5 (Amos Gouaux)
> # Also specify in main.cf: cyrus_destination_recipient_limit=1
> cyrus     unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
>   user=cyrus argv=/usr/cyrus/bin/deliver -e -r ${sender} -m ${extension}
> ${user}

1) Your configs don't show us enough, at least they don't really show us
how your mail gets delivered.
2) Don't use any of the cyrus transports, they are legacy methods.
3) To use lmtp transport, put something like this in main.cf:
mailbox_transport = lmtp:unix:/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp

Regards,
Simon