Sieve script parse error problem

Andreas Haumer andreas at xss.co.at
Mon Oct 24 13:45:36 EDT 2005

Hi!

Another followup to my own mail, as I now have additional
information.

Andreas Haumer schrieb:
> Hi!
>
> As after two weeks I haven't got a single reply to my problem report
> and I'm still hunting this problem I would like to bring up the issue
> again.
>
> I would like to add that I have sieve working fine on other installations
> with both cyrus-imapd-2.2.8 and cyrus-imapd-2.2.10.

[...]
> But with cyrus-imapd-2.2.12 I can't get sieve to work as I always
> get the error mentioned below.

Comparing the differences between those systems I found
that on the installations with a working cyrus-imapd I
used bison-1.34 to compile the package (e.g. translate
the sieve.y file) whereas with the newer cyrus-imapd-2.2.12
I also used the newer bison-2.1 to compile the package

I just tried to compile timsieved from cyrus-imapd-2.2.12
without re-creating sieve.c and sieve.h from sieve.y (by
touching sieve.c and sieve.h before running make) and
this gave me a timsieved binary which actually accepts
my small testing sieve script without complaints!

So it currently looks like the reason for the problems I
see is an incompatibility between sieve.y and the newer
bison!

For now I think I can live with this workaround (touch
the sieve.[ch] files provided by the cyrus-imapd source
package) but I guess someone has to look at the sieve.y
file to see what this incompatibility might be (or perhaps
it's even a bug in bison?)

Any comments?

- - andreas

- --
Andreas Haumer                     | mailto:andreas at xss.co.at
*x Software + Systeme              | http://www.xss.co.at/
Karmarschgasse 51/2/20             | Tel: +43-1-6060114-0
A-1100 Vienna, Austria             | Fax: +43-1-6060114-71