Sieve script parse error problem

Andreas Haumer andreas at xss.co.at
Mon Oct 24 12:56:11 EDT 2005

Hi!

As after two weeks I haven't got a single reply to my problem report
and I'm still hunting this problem I would like to bring up the issue
again.

I would like to add that I have sieve working fine on other installations
with both cyrus-imapd-2.2.8 and cyrus-imapd-2.2.10.

Example:

xss at mail:~ {31} $ rpm -q cyrus-imapd
cyrus-imapd-2.2.10-1
xss at mail:~ {32} $ cat myscript.script
require ["reject","fileinto"];

if address :is :all "From" "andreas at xss.co.at"
{
  reject "testing";
}

xss at mail:~ {33} $ sieveshell localhost
connecting to localhost
Please enter your password:
> put myscript.script
> get myscript
require ["reject","fileinto"];

if address :is :all "From" "andreas at xss.co.at"
{
  reject "testing";
}

> quit
xss at mail:~ {34} $

But with cyrus-imapd-2.2.12 I can't get sieve to work as I always
get the error mentioned below.

Andreas Haumer schrieb:
[...]
> Oct 10 19:08:19 schiller sieve[17790]: line 1: parse error, unexpected IF, expecting STRING^M
>

> To narrow down the problem I followed the tests as described in the
> documentation provided with the Cyrus sources (file "install-sieve.html",
> chapter "testing the sieve server")
>
> Here are the results:
>
> I can successfully telnet to the sieve server:
>
> andreas at schiller:~ {1007} % telnet localhost 2000
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> "IMPLEMENTATION" "Cyrus timsieved v2.2.12"
> "SASL" "PLAIN"
> "SIEVE" "fileinto reject envelope vacation imapflags notify subaddress relational comparator-i;ascii-numeric regex"
> OK
> logout
> OK "Logout Complete"
> Connection closed by foreign host.
>

> I can also successfully connect to the sieve server using
> "sieveshell":
>
> andreas at schiller:~ {1008} % sieveshell localhost
> connecting to localhost
> Please enter your password:
>
>>>quit
>

> But I am not able to upload the little sieve script provided
> as example in the Cyrus documentation:
>
> andreas at schiller:~ {1009} % cat myscript.script
> require ["reject","fileinto"];
>
> if address :is :all "From" "andreas at xss.co.at"
> {
>   reject "testing";
> }
>
> andreas at schiller:~ {1010} % sieveshell localhost
> connecting to localhost
> Please enter your password:
>
>>>put myscript.script
>
> upload failed: put script: script errors:
> line 1: parse error, unexpected IF, expecting STRING
>
> As you can see I'm getting exactly the same error message
> like the one I get when OGo tries to upload the "ogo" script,
> so it looks at this is a general problem with the cyrus sieve
> server. I tried several other sieve scripts, but I always
> get some "parse error", except when I upload an empty
> script or a script consisting of comments only:
>
> andreas at schiller:~ {1012} % cat sievetest
> #
> # this is just a test
> #
> andreas at schiller:~ {1012} % sieveshell localhost
> connecting to localhost
> Please enter your password:
>
>>>put sievetest
>>>list
>
> sievetest
>
>>>get sievetest
>
> #
> # this is just a test
> #
>

> I'm using Cyrus imapd 2.2.12 under Linux (kernel 2.4.31,
> glibc 2.3.5, gcc 3.3.4, everything was compiled by myself)
>
> The Cyrus IMAP server is working fine, but I haven't got
> sieve to work yet.
>
> Do I miss something here?

Any idea anyone?

- - andreas

- --
Andreas Haumer                     | mailto:andreas at xss.co.at
*x Software + Systeme              | http://www.xss.co.at/
Karmarschgasse 51/2/20             | Tel: +43-1-6060114-0
A-1100 Vienna, Austria             | Fax: +43-1-6060114-71