(start_)tls and openssl-0.9.8a

Goetz Babin-Ebell goetz at shomitefo.de
Tue Nov 22 17:04:37 EST 2005

Nikola Milutinovic wrote:
> Goetz Babin-Ebell wrote:
>> Nikola Milutinovic wrote:
>>
>>> Hmm, first of all, why "no-idea, no-rc5"? You have better
>>> implementations on your system? I usually let OpenSSL be the provider
>>> of those algorithms.
>>

>> Because idea and rc5 have patent issues ?
>
> Heh, forgot about that one... Why does OpenSSL have those, in the first
> place? So, if someone HAS a licence to use the algorithm, OpenSSL will
> provide an implementation?

And because these patents are not everywhere in the world valid.
(btw. IBM holds a patent on MDC2)

>> OpenSSL has no build in zlib, but uses a system provided version.
>
> OK, I haven't been in OpenSSL package for a while, I remeber "no-zlib",
> "zlib" and "zlib-shared" options. I usually use the last one. That is
> what I was refering to.

To ensure that the program you builds really uses the same zlib
version (on build and on link) than the OpenSSL library you use can
be a challenge...

Bye

Goetz

--
DMCA: The greed of the few outweighs the freedom of the many