Memory footprint reduction possible ?

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Tue Nov 22 00:00:59 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 00:06 -0300, Carlos Horowicz wrote:

> The process size of imapd, pop3d or lmtpd is between 60 and 100M , with
> resident size of only between 5 or 10M. I tried changing
> berkeley_cachesize , and the type of mailboxes.db (skiplist and
> berkeley) but nothing changed.
>
> DOes anybody have any suggestion on how to reduce the process size of
> imapd ?

Understand that the mapped virtual memory represents files that are
mmap()'d into memory (likely most are part of the database files), but
the pages are not necessarily loaded into memory until they're read.
I'd guess the bulk of the memory in your RSS (resident size set; the
physical memory that's actually used) are the per-mailbox database
header cache files (and possibly the squat indexes).  Do you use
squatter?

Wil
--
Wil Cooley <wcooley at nakedape.cc>