Memory footprint reduction possible ?

Carlos Horowicz carloshorowicz at argentina.com
Tue Nov 22 07:42:51 EST 2005

Hi

Wil Cooley wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 00:06 -0300, Carlos Horowicz wrote:
>

>>The process size of imapd, pop3d or lmtpd is between 60 and 100M , with
>>resident size of only between 5 or 10M. I tried changing
>>berkeley_cachesize , and the type of mailboxes.db (skiplist and
>>berkeley) but nothing changed.
>>
>>DOes anybody have any suggestion on how to reduce the process size of
>>imapd ?
>>

>Understand that the mapped virtual memory represents files that are
>mmap()'d into memory (likely most are part of the database files), but
>the pages are not necessarily loaded into memory until they're read.
>I'd guess the bulk of the memory in your RSS (resident size set; the
>physical memory that's actually used) are the per-mailbox database
>header cache files (and possibly the squat indexes).  Do you use
>squatter?

No, I don't.

Interesting that pop3d, imapd and lmtpd all show the same footprint, and
differ in a couple of megabytes in the resident size.

I've also set a limit into postfix to restrict the number concurrent
delivery processes (done by /usr/local/cyrus/bin/deliver -m user) , as
this generates also a lot of disk activity and might make them live too
long in memory.

-Carlos