right way to call saslauthd from cyrus?

Bill Kearney wkearney99 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 17 18:21:21 EST 2005

I've asked similar question over in cyrus-sasl but that's about postfix,
this is about cyrus itself.

What's the current state of how to tell cyrus to authenticate using mysql?

In the past it seems the combination was to have cyrus call saslauthd, which
is turn uses PAM via pam_mysql to the database itself.  This seemed to work
fine using sasl1 but I cannot seem to make it work with sasl2.  Old box had
both, new box has only sasl2.

I'm using these versions
    pam_mysql 0.8pre3, postfix-2.2.5,
    cyrus-sasl-2.1.21, cyrus-imap-2.1.12,
    mysaql-4.1.12,
    centos-4.2 (rhel4

So main.cf would have various lines like this:
    sender_canonical_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-canonical.cf

And :/etc/postfix/mysql-canonical.cf contains:
    hosts = localhost
    user = mail
    password = secret
    dbname = mail
    table = virtual
    select_field = alias
    where_field = username
    additional_conditions = and status = '1' limit 1

And /etc/pam.d/imap contains
(edited for username/passwd of course and all each on a full line, no
trailing \ char)

    auth sufficient pam_mysql.so verbose=1 sqllog=true user=mail
passwd=secret \
    host=localhost db=mail table=accountuser usercolumn=username \
    passwdcolumn=password crypt=1 logtable=log logmsgcolumn=msg \
    logusercolumn=user loghostcolumn=host logpidcolumn=pid
logtimecolumn=time

    account required pam_mysql.so verbose=1 sqllog=true user=mail
passwd=secret \
    host=localhost db=mail table=accountuser usercolumn=username \
    passwdcolumn=password crypt=1 logtable=log logmsgcolumn=msg \
    logusercolumn=user loghostcolumn=host logpidcolumn=pid
logtimecolumn=time

But this causes a whole raft of errors in maillog:
(more than this quantity appear, it may be related to the number of daemon
spawned?)
    Nov 17 19:17:07 cbox imap[19003]: sql_select option missing
    Nov 17 19:17:07 cbox imap[19002]: auxpropfunc error no mechanism
available
    Nov 17 19:17:07 cbox imaps[19003]: sql_select option missing
    Nov 17 19:17:07 cbox imaps[19002]: auxpropfunc error no mechanism
available
    Nov 17 19:17:07 cbox lmtpunix[19003]: sql_select option missing
    Nov 17 19:17:07 cbox lmtpunix[19003]: auxpropfunc error no mechanism
available

Am I calling things wrong?  Well, obviously I've got something wrong but I
just can't seem to hit upon the right combination to get this thing running.
I think it's a case to too many HOWTO docs spanning too many different
versions all adding up to a mess.

I sort of like how pam_mysql has logging options.  Thus I thought using
saslauthd and on to pam was the right means to maintain that functionality.

HELP!

-Bill Kearney