put on the subject line. was: spam

Jeffrey T Eaton jeaton at cmu.edu
Tue May 17 10:51:54 EDT 2005

As of today, the info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu list runs on
Majordomo.  We have no plans to make any changes to the list
configuration, as we are in the process of phasing out our Majordomo
server in favor of Mailman.

We also have no plans to add an [info-cyrus] tag to the subject line
of the messages after the switch to Mailman.  As other people have
already said, there are other headers you can use to filter messages.

Besides, filtering on the existance of an [info-cyrus] tag in the
subject will eventually result in misfiled mail.  Consider the case
where a thread on the mailing list spawns a private discussion;  if
you filter on the subject line, the private messages will be filed
into your mailing list mailbox.  If you filter on a specific header
specifically added by the mailing list manager and not used by a
standard mail client (for example, List-Id:), then only the mailing
list mail will be filed into the appropriate mailbox.

-jeaton

--
Jeffrey T. Eaton                    esp                      jeaton at cmu.edu
Research Systems Programmer                      Carnegie-Mellon University