Configuring Cyrus IMAP for multiple domains (virtdomains problem)

ogjunk-cyrus at yahoo.com ogjunk-cyrus at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 10:52:27 EDT 2005

Hello,

(I think this message got pushed down by the recent list spam, so I'm
resending it, hoping it will catch somebody's attention)

I'm trying to configure Cyrus IMAP (cyrus-imapd-2.2.6-2.FC3.6 - Fedora
Code 3 package) to serve multiple domains.  I have it accept email from
Postfix when I don't use multiple (virtual) domains, but not with
"virtdomains: yes" in /etc/imapd.conf.

Here is what I have in /etc/imapd.conf:

... <standard stuff taken out> ...
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
tls_cert_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/cyrus-imapd.pem
tls_key_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/cyrus-imapd.pem
tls_ca_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt

# OG: added
virtdomains: on
defaultdomain: my-domain.com
unixhierarchysep: 1
loginrealms: localdomain my-domain.com

If I comment out the last 4 lines, then I _can_ create new mailboxes
with cyradm (e.g. createmailbox user.otis.Trash).  However, I need this
server to serve email for multiple domains, so I need to be able to do
"cm user/otis at my-domain.com")

I've followed this:
  http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/download/imapd/install-virtdomains.html

But that results in this:

  cyradm -u cyrus localhost 143
  IMAP Password:
  localhost.localdomain> cm user.otis at my-domain.com
  createmailbox: Invalid mailbox name

I also tried this:

  localhost.localdomain> cm user/otis at my-domain.com
  createmailbox: Invalid mailbox name

I presume that's because Cyrus doesn't know about "my-domain.com".  How
do I tell it about "my-domain.com"?

I also read this:
  http://www.phildev.net/cyrus/cyrus_sasl.html

But that had a few errors, so I gave up around half of the job.
Perhaps Cyrus and cyradm would know about "my-domain.com" if I called
cyradm like this:

  cyradm -u cyrus my-domain.com 143

?
I tried that, but my-domain.com domain is not really configured yet
(DNS points to a different, old machine), so I can't really try that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Otis
P.S.
Similar thread is here, but this doesn't seem to work for me:
http://asg.web.cmu.edu/archive/message.php?mailbox=archive.info-cyrus&msg=35013