stuck vacation ghost message

Henk.Roose at cwi.nl Henk.Roose at cwi.nl
Thu Mar 3 10:50:27 EST 2005

Oliver,

Oliver Sommer wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> cyrus-imapd is the mail system I've been using successfully over the
> last years but now I have a strange problem I cannot track down.
> Probably it's a bug but I have no clue on where to start searching for
> it. We use cyrus together with opengroupware.org ("ogo"). using a nice
> web interface you can manage sieve stuff using ogo. the ogo server
> connects the mail server using the sieve port, hence I consider it a
> normal sieve client app.
>
> Now to my problem: it's about sieve and vacation. One of our users had
> used an out-of-office notification. After the removal of the
> notification everything seemed to be okay, but actually it wasn't:
>
> every now and then a user who is sending a mail to that specific account
> gets his old vacation message. Many times we tried to get rid of it. I
> scanned all the folders in the /var/sieve directory. we installed a new
> vacation note and removed them - like everything you can do except for

Install a new vacation and see what exactly changes on the cyrus box.
Check 'sievedir' in imapd.conf and check for a 'default' softlink to
a script in that location ($sievedir/f/foo/my.script).

> reinstalling the mail server - with no luck at all. And it's not easy to
> debug, because it doesn't send the vacation notice every time. just

Because of the interval between repeat replies to the same sender.

> sometimes. then it's gone for weeks, then it suddenly shows up - with
> the old text.

Are you sure there's no .forward with a unix vacation pipe in that specific
account's home? Check that, also look for a .vacation.msg.

> If anybody could give me a hint or something so look after - I would be
> glad. this thing drives me totally crazy. I wonder: where is the
> vacation notice actually stored if not in /var/sieve?

It should be the 'sievedir' path in your imapd.conf

> any help: totally appreciated.

HTH
Henk

Henk Roose - Henk.Roose at cwi.nl
CWI - Centrum voor Wiskunde en Informatica
Centre for Mathematics and Computer Science
Amsterdam (NL)