Playing with replicated murder

Christoph Moench-Tegeder cmt at burggraben.net
Thu Mar 3 10:59:52 EST 2005

Hi,
my employer wants to spend some money and buy a cluster filesystem
for our IMAP servers (not that we currently need it, with only about
five thousand active users on the largest server).
The powers that be want to have "high availability" and "load balancing"
(what load?). This sounds like a replicated murder to me.
We already do have a SAN (fiberchannel and some spare gigabytes on an EMC)
and a cluster filesystem (currently we are evaluating Polyserve, has
anyone had some experience with psfs?).
I am a little confused over the location of configdirectory, some of its
contents (like the DB environment, the socket und the proc directorys)
should be kept per node (I believe), while others (as quota files)
should be shared between nodes. What about the replicated mailboxes.db?
What am I missing?

Regards,
Christoph

--