IMAP command SELECT failed ?

Matt Pounsett iconoplasty at mac.com
Thu Mar 3 10:31:11 EST 2005

On Mar 03, 2005, at 10:00, Derrick J Brashear wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Matt Pounsett wrote:
>
>> I did a search of the archive, and didn't come up with anything
>> relevant. I've also been unable to find anything helpful using
>> google.. so..
>>
>> I've just installed cyrus-imapd-2.2.12 on FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE.  My
>> client connects to the server results in the error message from my
>> client (OSX Mail 1.3.9)   'IMAP command "SELECT" failed.'  I'm not
>> getting anything useful in my imapd.log, but I'll paste from it below
>> anyway.
>
> Mail.app will sometimes have this problem if the imap connection drops.
>
> I isuppose you can turn on telemetry logging on the server for
> yourself and see what it's sending, but if the connection is closing
> entirely (is it?) you won't see anything in the log.

I think it is.. I tried with Evolution later, and found that it was
giving a (slightly) better error message:  "Server unexpectedly
disconnected: Unknown error".
With both clients, if I intentionally screw up authentication then I
get the expected 'failed login' error.. but if I get it right, it looks
like something on the server end drops the connection.