backslash in addresses?

alex at milivojevic.org alex at milivojevic.org
Wed Jul 13 16:40:48 EDT 2005

Quoting "Scott M. Likens" <damm at yazzy.org>:

> It seems unrealistic to me to expect a mailer to 'accept' backslashes in
> email address's.  Let alone, sieve,etc.

Well, any MUA I had in my hands will gladly accept them.  Among the
MTA, I know
sendmail accepts backslashes *and* processes them as described (if envelope
address starts with backslash, aliases are not expanded on it).  It also
preserves them when relaying email to another MTA.  I do realize this is
sendmail specific feature, and as it appears from another post in this thread,
not really RFC compliant.

> I would ask what brought you to use backslashes in email address's,
> because not even Exchange uses them really.  (Cept for logging in)

Sendmail uses them.  I'm using sendmail.  It seemed to be simple, clean and
quick solution to resolve one mail-loop problem I had.  Sorry for bothering so
many people for so long time, I just hoped there was a simple way to make
timsieved accept backslash char as part of email address.

> But yes you would need to rebuild sieve to support \'s, and currently
> you'd have to build support for it to support it.  So by all means, make
> it, and send it to the list and if people love it maybe it'll become a
> part of cyrus permanently.

Hmmm...  Somehow I got the feeling (from past discussions on the list about
relaxing some other types of checks) that this kind of thing makes it really
hard into official cyrus distribution, even when people love the
feature.  Plus
this one is specific to single MTA (sendmail), and also very rarely used :-(