Courier-IMAP maibox to cyrus-imap maildir

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Tue Jan 25 12:14:28 EST 2005

Simon Matter wrote:
> I don't know imapsync nor mailsync but I think something like rsync just
> for IMAP may be a good solution. You can presync the large amount of data
> sometime before actually migrating the server. Then, before finally
> switching the server, resyncing should be quite fast. Loosing flags is
> really not acceptable in many environments.

Imap-sync can do exactly what you described.  I've tried it out.  Sounds
good in theory.  Not so good in practice.  It is faster, but it still
takes a lot of time.  Still too slow for moving very large quantities of
email.  In my example, two day work would be cut to half a day, maybe
even an entire day.  And my user base isn't really that large (it is
just that some of them have huge mailboxes).  Again, there's that small
password problem (you need to know all your user's passwords or reset them).

Plus, with one IMAP server (wu-imapd to be more specific) imap-sync
didn't play all that good if the users were allowed to be logged in
while it was syncing mailboxes.  If the user had folder open from his
email client, sometimes imap-sync wasn't able to read flags on some of
the messages.  Not sure if it was bug in imap-sync, Perl IMAP module, or
wu-imapd.

Users might not like loosing the flags, but sometimes there's no way
around it.  The only alternative would be moving using sctips, and than
recreating just the flags using some custom made Perl script as
background process (imap-sync can't be used reliably for this in general
case).  There are still problems with this (for example, you transfer an
message, user marks it as unseen on new server, and than you reflag it
as seen since that was the way it was on old server - something to keep
in mind and warn users beforehand).