automated delivery of sieve scripts for new users

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Feb 2 14:19:21 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 12:54 -0600, John Wade wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
>
> > 1 - Is there a way to automatically set a sieve script to new users
> > created on a system?
>
> I believe this is a part of the latest autocreate patch from the
> University of Athens.
> http://email.uoa.gr/download/cyrus/cyrus-imapd-2.2.10/cyrus-imapd-2.2.10-autocreate-0.9.1.diff
----
hmm...looking at the diff, I wondered if that was already in my imapd
configuration...
# rpm -qa|grep cyrus-imap
cyrus-imapd-2.2.10-3.fc3
cyrus-imapd-devel-2.2.10-3.fc3
cyrus-imapd-utils-2.2.10-3.fc3
cyrus-imapd-nntp-2.2.10-3.fc3
cyrus-imapd-murder-2.2.10-3.fc3

so far so good
added to imapd.conf
autocreate_sieve_script: /etc/default_sieve_script

restarted - cyrus-imapd
no complaints - syslog seems happy

telnet localhost imap and logged in as jennifer
ls -l /var/spool/imap/j/user/jennifer/INBOX and other
autocreateinboxfolders are there...(nice feature by the way)
ls -l /var/lib/imap/sieve/ - no j no jennifer  ;-(

OK - so I would have to patch source and re-install I guess... ;-(
I may be too lazy to do this and resort to #2 below as it appears that I
have to do some scripting anyway...
----
> > 2 - Is there a way to insert sieve scripts without having to type a
> > password at the console (for automation)?
>
> Athough it kind of goes against the Cyrus blackbox mentality, you should
> be able to just do the following in a script as the cyrus user.
>
> 1.  Create the user's sieve directory
> 2.  Copy your script into the directory with a .script extension.
> 3.   Use sievec to compile the script (i.e. /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/sievec
> <scriptname>.script <scriptname>.bc)
> 4.  Symbolically link the script to make it active:   ln -s <scriptname>
> default.bc
>
> We have certainly done these steps during conversions.  (Note binary
> compilation is only required with the latest versions of Cyrus.)
>
> Hope this helps,
----
Indeed it has helped - it cut to the quick.

Thanks

Craig