automated delivery of sieve scripts for new users

John Wade jwade at oakton.edu
Wed Feb 2 13:54:27 EST 2005

Craig White wrote:

> 1 - Is there a way to automatically set a sieve script to new users
> created on a system?

I believe this is a part of the latest autocreate patch from the
University of Athens.
http://email.uoa.gr/download/cyrus/cyrus-imapd-2.2.10/cyrus-imapd-2.2.10-autocreate-0.9.1.diff

> 2 - Is there a way to insert sieve scripts without having to type a
> password at the console (for automation)?

Athough it kind of goes against the Cyrus blackbox mentality, you should
be able to just do the following in a script as the cyrus user.

1.  Create the user's sieve directory
2.  Copy your script into the directory with a .script extension.
3.   Use sievec to compile the script (i.e. /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/sievec
<scriptname>.script <scriptname>.bc)
4.  Symbolically link the script to make it active:   ln -s <scriptname>
default.bc

We have certainly done these steps during conversions.  (Note binary
compilation is only required with the latest versions of Cyrus.)

Hope this helps,
John Wade