Hardware RAID Level & Performance

Lee lee at disinfo.com
Tue Feb 15 12:18:57 EST 2005

We're rebuilding our mail cluster using two servers clustered together
with DRBD/heartbeat. We've run DRBD/heartbeat before, so Im fairly
comfortable with teh performance implications of that.

What i'm wondering is, how the hardware raid level on the two poweredge
2650s (aacraid perc3/di controller) using linux 2.6 kernel and EXT3
will effect the performance of cyrus. In the past we've always used
raid 10, believing that it offered a significant performance boost over
raid 5 for write intensive apps like cyrus. Recently however i noticed
that CMU is actually using RAID 5 on its arrays. Obviously being able
to use RAID 5 would be terrific as it would give us significantly more
storage for the buck.

What are the implication of raid 10 vs. raid 5 with cyrus? Are they
significant? Does EXT3 play into the discussion?

Thanks,
Lee