Hardware RAID Level & Performance

Jure Pe_ar pegasus at nerv.eu.org
Tue Feb 15 12:47:37 EST 2005

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 12:18:57 -0500
Lee <lee at disinfo.com> wrote:

> What are the implication of raid 10 vs. raid 5 with cyrus? Are they
> significant? Does EXT3 play into the discussion?

Cyrus 2.3 CVS code enables you to split indexes and cyrus db files into
their own partition. That's where most of the i/o activity is concentrated,
so you only need to optimize that partition. The mail spool that remains can
be raid5.

Yes, ext3 does have its problems, depending on how many users and how big
mailboxes you have. I'd recommend reiserfs.

--

Jure Pečar
http://jure.pecar.org/