Hardware RAID Level & Performance

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Tue Feb 15 14:37:05 EST 2005

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Jure Pe_ar wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 12:18:57 -0500
> Lee <lee at disinfo.com> wrote:
>
> > What are the implication of raid 10 vs. raid 5 with cyrus? Are they
> > significant? Does EXT3 play into the discussion?

1. Use 2.6.10+ ext3, with all hashing enabled
2. Use an external journal in a fast device (not the RAID5 array)

> Cyrus 2.3 CVS code enables you to split indexes and cyrus db files into
> their own partition. That's where most of the i/o activity is concentrated,
> so you only need to optimize that partition. The mail spool that remains can
> be raid5.

This is probably the best way to do it, especially if you have some
non-volatile solid-state disks around as it was suggested  in this list
sometime ago...

> Yes, ext3 does have its problems, depending on how many users and how big
> mailboxes you have. I'd recommend reiserfs.

I've heard bad things about reiserfs' capabilities to withstand
corruption *and* to be repaired later. Something that I'd take into account
when choosing the FS for the big spools.  But maybe reiserfs has non-joke
repair utilities these days...

  Henrique Holschuh