Just need a push

John P. Speno jpspeno at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 08:57:01 EST 2005

Hi, my name is John, and I'm a former unix sys admin but I gave it up
to be a programmer (yay python!). Now I'm back in the sys admin game
for a small family business that needs to scale its order management
system better and I think cyrus and IMAP is just the thing, but I
just wanted to get a little feedback.

All orders a now tracked in an Apple Mail.app POP account so there's
thousands of locally stored folders containing mail messages on one
machine (backed up nightly of course).

I need to share that among several machines now so many people can
process the inbox and arrange the folders as needed. That's basically
IMAP, right?

Beyond that, my concerns are performance and backups. Since the IMAP
server will be out on the net, I assume Mail.app's local caching will
make searching the mail as fast as it is now. Any clue?

But what about backups? Supposing I lost the server and it's mail.
Would I be able to reconstruct it from the locally cached copy in
Mail.app?

Thanks!