problem with pop3d, messages can be downloaded multiple times

Timo Veith tv at rz-zw.fh-kl.de
Tue Dec 6 16:57:07 EST 2005

Joseph Brennan schrieb:
> Timo Veith <tv at rz-zw.fh-kl.de> wrote:
>

>>some of our users have the problem that their messages are beeing
>>downloaded via pop multiple times. Some users even complain that they
>>aren't able to delete the doubles as fast as they get the same ones as
>>new ones again.
>>
>>They are using Outlook or Pegasus Mail. Maybe others are having the
>>problem too but I only heard of those. I know of two users, who use the
>>so called "leave messages on server" feature and I think it only happens
>>if the client is set up that way.
>

> Good!  I didn't have a chance to ask about this yet.
>
> We're seeing this too, as we begin to put pop users on our new Cyrus
> system.  Of course it only *can* happen when they leave on server.
>

>>Could this be a database issue, where cyrus cannot recognize that the
>>client already downloaded the messages?
>

> The client keeps track of what it has downloaded, so it's more like
> the other way around.
>
> As far as I know the only way to do this is that the client asks the
> server for all the uids of all the messages, and compares them to the
> client's own list of what's been downloaded.  If there's anything new
> to the client, it downloads those.
>
> I would guess one of Cyrus or Outlook is doing something not quite
> standards-compliant with uids.  But can the other one work around it?
>

> Joseph Brennan
> postmaster at columbia.edu

Hi Joseph,

I have searched the archive and found another thread. It describes the
same problem. But no real solution ...  ok one could say "don't use
broken mail clients" but, that is unrealistic. I cannot enjoin my users
from using Outlook/OE.

http://asg.web.cmu.edu/archive/message.php?mailbox=archive.info-cyrus&msg=32442

Any other hints ?

Timo